X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• henning
    started a topic 4 bytes column name sizes

4 bytes column name sizes

I appreciate that for consistency, the names of columns in the wire protocol have their length encoded with 4 bytes.

However, that results into three guaranteed zero bytes for (almost) every column in every VoltTable ever to run across the wires. I could think of places where I'd rather spent those bytes on and, I'll be happy to outline them in a different post.

Also, the consistency achieved can only be limited as column names can only be ASCII whereas all stored strings are UTF-8. Meaning, there likely has to be some destinction when parsing, or constructing the column names, anyway. At least when verifying the contents.

If I can be dramatic for an instant, I find those bytes almost a violation of the VoltDB spirit of raw speed that is pretty visible in the rest of the protocol. Seemingly so much so, I felt compelled to mail Ariel to make sure it was'nt a doc error :-o. So at least for me the impression was not of consistency but the opposite.

If there are forces in-house at VoltDB to remove two to three bytes of that size fields I would like to second them.

Henning

• jpiekos
    replied
    Yes, we've considered it - can you describe your use case to help me better understand what you are trying to accomplish?

Leave a comment:

• sabakanwal
    replied
    Any thought to a solr api to voltdb?

You can check out our latest scjp - testking and testking exams written by our 700-501 - braindumps - questions to help you pass Miami International University of Art & Design.You can also purchase mines.edu. Our northwood is simply excellent in quality.
    Last edited by sabakanwal; 12-20-2014, 06:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dyu
    replied
    Totally agree.

Haven't used voltdb yet (been lurking the forums) ... So here's my first post to back his comments.
    If not 1 byte, 2-bytes should already do it.

Leave a comment:

• jhugg
    replied
    That's something to think

That's something to think about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X