Stupid question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question

I dont understand for what need VoltDB, its not similar DB2, MYSql , Microsoft SQL Server , Oracle. Yes? its in-memory database in real time yes? I mean i can have only 1 database? I cant create 10 databases with 100 talbes?

Hi Ilia,

There are architectural reasons why VoltDB is different from DB2, MySQL, SQLServer, and Oracle. Perhaps those are best in "The Reasons behind the VoltDB Architecture" here: http://voltdb.com/products/featuresb...b-architecture

There isn't really an architectural reason why VoltDB supports only one database with one unnamed schema per cluster, rather than multiple named database instances or multiple named schemas. It just wasn't in the target set of features that were designed into VoltDB from the beginning, and while we have gotten some requests and questions about it, there hasn't been enough interest from customers or from the market to make it a high priority.

Regards,
    Ben

Comment

Thank you Ben, can you answer antoher question. How i can work with VoltDB with local machine? telnet or what? how i can work in terminal not at cluster and Apach. Can i do it?

Comment

Hi Ilia,

I'm not sure if I understand your question, could you rephrase it? If you're asking how can you download and run VoltDB, this 4-minute video shows how to do it: http://voltdb.com/resources/video/do...running-voltdb

Best regards,
        Ben

Comment

NO, no how i can work witth voltDB? only on cluster, or i can use any local machine for connect to terminal?

Comment

Hi Ilia, you can connect to VoltDB using sqlcmd (in the bin directory) or using the VoltDB Management Center on the <host>:8080 port. In addition, we support JDBC - and I know that some common tools, such as Squirrel SQL Client work just fine (after you load our client jar in to use as the driver).

Comment

rmirgwnstein can i work with VoltDB use telnet for connect to VoltDB or something else?

Comment

Ilia,

Unfortunately, you can not use telnet to connect to VoltDB cluster. The simplest way to connect to the database is sqlcmd. Alternatively, you can use our VoltDB Management Center to do the same.

Peter Zhao

Comment

No, Peter i wanna connect to voltdb with any local machine in my network with Manager Center i can do this cuz its Apach. with sqlcmd i cant do this for windows

Comment

Ilia,

To connect to a remote machine with sqlcmd, try this:
                    sqlcmd --servers=zeus
                    Alternatively, with VoltDB Management Center you can link to a remote machine as well:
                    http://<hostname>:8080

Peter Zhao

Comment

have u sqlcmd for OS:Microsoft?

Comment

Ilia,

VoltDB has no support for Windows. As such you can connect to your remote cluster via putty from windows.

With that said, I'd like to understand your environment, where is voltdb running, the machines and its' operating system involved in your test, and what you are trying to achieve? With this information, I can better guide you.

Peter Zhao

Comment

VoltDB will be on cluster with Linux OS ofc, but i wanna work with her remote on Windows OS.

Comment

Ilia,

Options I can think of are to install putty on your local windows machine and connect to Linux nodes for accessing to sqlcmd. Another route you can take is using our web interface, <host>:8080. Lastly, if possible, run a Virtual Machine with linux and do everything within the Virtual Machine.

Peter Zhao

Comment

Originally posted by rmorgenstein View Post
                              Hi Ilia, you can connect to VoltDB using sqlcmd (in the bin directory) or using the VoltDB Management Center on the <host>:8080 port. In addition, we support JDBC - and I know that some common tools, such as Squirrel SQL Client work just fine (after you load our client jar in to use as the driver).
                              Peter how about this?

Comment

Working...
                              X