Forum: Other

Beginners question
pbaliuka
Mar 17, 2010
I've spend more than 1/2 hour browsing documentation and still have questions related to the D part from ACID:
1. How snapshots are guaranteed to be 100% correct and reusable?
2. Can I restore DB image to stage between?
3. Can transactions performed be logged (e.g. optional turn on transaction log ir fine level granularity required)?

My background is very specialized transaction processors similar to http://obsidiandynamics.com/dts/concepts.html and architecture from what I imagine and VoldDB can be different...

I was not able to find architectural description in documentation set. Could someone please create/add architecture doc in the documentation set?

Thanks
PrB
The D in ACID
tcallaghan
Mar 17, 2010
PrB,

Good questions.

1. How snapshots are guaranteed to be 100% correct and reusable?
Snapshots store checksum information to ensure validity. Currently, the only way to test a snapshot is to perform a restore, which can be done on a different cluster. In a future release we will likely create a utility to test the snapshot without performing a restore.

2. Can I restore DB image to stage between?
Yes, snapshots can be restored to any VoltDB cluster that has the same or more RAM than the source cluster. The restore cluster does not need to have the same number of nodes or k-safety factor as the source cluster.

3. Can transactions performed be logged (e.g. optional turn on transaction log or fine level granularity required)?
There is no option to turn on transaction logging. If you want to do this for audit purposes you will need to add audit type tables to your schema and do the inserts to these tables in your stored procedures.

I was not able to find architectural description in documentation set. Could someone please create/add architecture doc in the documentation set?

I'll pass this request along to our Technical Writer.

-Tim
VoltDB Architecture
ajgent
Mar 25, 2010
Hi,

You asked about the VoltDB architecture. An conceptual overview of how VoltDB operates is included in Chapter 1 of Using VoltDB. There is also information available in the technical whitepaper. Are you looking for more details about the internals, or some other type of information? Any suggestions you may have for the type of information you need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
VoltDB tech writer
Durability
pbaliuka
Mar 27, 2010
Hi,

You asked about the VoltDB architecture. An conceptual overview of how VoltDB operates is included in Chapter 1 of Using VoltDB. There is also information available in the technical whitepaper. Are you looking for more details about the internals, or some other type of information? Any suggestions you may have for the type of information you need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
VoltDB tech writer

Hi Andrew,

"Therefore, VoltDB includes an integration that spools VoltDB data to analytic
DBMS products (such as the Vertica Analytic Database) to enable real-time reporting and analysis."

In case if Vertica can act as "transaction durability engine" and both VoltDB it may be very attractive solution ;), but it is not forum for Vertica ...

It would be nice to hear more about "DBMS products (such as the Vertica Analytic Database) to enable real-time reporting and analysis"

Is is possible to block response until data confirmed to be in analytic DBMS product for bulk of transactions?
Are there some benchmarks to share such integration available/planned?

Thanks for info. It sounds very intriguing.
Pranas
Durability
ajgent
Mar 28, 2010
Hi Andrew,

"Therefore, VoltDB includes an integration that spools VoltDB data to analytic
DBMS products (such as the Vertica Analytic Database) to enable real-time reporting and analysis."

In case if Vertica can act as "transaction durability engine" and both VoltDB it may be very attractive solution ;), but it is not forum for Vertica ...

Hi Pranas,

ELT is an area under active development at the moment. More information about it -- how it works and how to apply it -- will be provided when the feature is ready.

But, in general, ELT is not intended to address durability. Other features, such as snapshots and K-safety (also coming in the future), are better suited for that purpose.

But we would be interested in the use case you are trying to solve. What are the requirements you are looking to address? Any specifics you can provide would be very useful in helping us tune the design of upcoming capabilities to meet your needs.

Thanks,
Andrew