Forum: VoltDB Architecture

How to do WAN replication?
hustjackie
Dec 10, 2010

If I want two cluster, one cluster is in NewYork, the other is in MA.

the cluster in MA just do WAN replication (do nothing but backup), when all nodes in NewYork are down, then the cluster in MA can take over the request.

The K-Safety in NewYork is 2, but I want k-safety in MA is 0.
The connection between clusters should be asynchronous.

In the deployment config, it just set node count, it doesn't care the cluster geography.

Thanks
Longda
re: WAN replication
tcallaghan
Dec 10, 2010
Longda,

WAN replication is not yet supported in VoltDB.

When it is available, I'd strongly recommend running both clusters (production and DR) with a k-safety factor of >= 1 to ensure HA at the DR site if your primary site goes down.

-Tim
Confirmation
gambitg
Sep 9, 2011
Longda,

WAN replication is not yet supported in VoltDB.

When it is available, I'd strongly recommend running both clusters (production and DR) with a k-safety factor of >= 1 to ensure HA at the DR site if your primary site goes down.

-Tim

Hello

Is it still true that WAN replication is not supported by VoltDB ? Any ETA ?

Thanks.
WAN Replication in early 2012
jpiekos
Nov 29, 2011
We're planning on WAN Replication in early 2012, an introduction of the functionality can be found here:

http://blog.voltdb.com/announcing-voltdb-version-25/
Re: How to do WAN replication ?
gambitg
Jan 3, 2012
What stops me from simply having nodes in different data centers currently in VoltDB 2.1 ? I did a quick test and it seems to work. Is is that it will not be performant or other issues (stability,consistency etc) will make it unusable in a production setup.

Thanks.
lan vs. wan replication
rbetts
Jan 3, 2012
What stops me from simply having nodes in different data centers currently in VoltDB 2.1 ? I did a quick test and it seems to work. Is is that it will not be performant or other issues (stability,consistency etc) will make it unusable in a production setup.

Thanks.

The intra-cluster replication protocol requires lower latencies and reliable network links - it isn't suitable for WAN applications in production.

Good news, though - we are currently working on WAN. Stay tuned for a beta announcement. Check out the WAN blog post:http://voltdb.com/company/blog/intro-wan-replication-voltdb

Ryan.
Database Replication was released in April (v2.5)
jpiekos
Jun 19, 2012
Closing the loop on this topic - we released Database Replication (aka WAN Replication) in our v2.5 release in April 2012. You can download a trial of VoltDB Enterprise Edition and give it a try. Download is available here: http://voltdb.com/products-services/downloads

John Piekos
synchronous replication?
stefanx
Jul 3, 2012
Closing the loop on this topic - we released Database Replication (aka WAN Replication) in our v2.5 release in April 2012. You can download a trial of VoltDB Enterprise Edition and give it a try. Download is available here: http://voltdb.com/products-services/downloads

John Piekos

Hi John!

The announcement states "asynchronous WAN replication". I understand this means VoltDB doesn't support synchronous WAN replication. Do you plan to support it in the future?

Regards,
Stefan
Synchronous Replication
jpiekos
Jul 3, 2012
Hi John!

The announcement states "asynchronous WAN replication". I understand this means VoltDB doesn't support synchronous WAN replication. Do you plan to support it in the future?

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

We support multi-master synchronous replication *within* the cluster (our K-Safety high availability feature). Cluster to Cluster replication today is asynchronous. Synchronous Cluster to Cluster replication is on our long-term roadmap (no dates/schedule yet).

Because of the performance levels that VoltDB operates at, this type of synchronous replication may involve switch-aware/proximity type enhancements in order to continue to support high throughput/low latency database operations.

John