Forum: Installation

Using Gentoo
henning
Apr 3, 2010
What draw backs could I face using Gentoo instead of CentOS for production?
Linux Distributions
tcallaghan
Apr 3, 2010
Henning,
We regularly test our deployment kids on CentOS 5.4 and Ubuntu 9.10. The kit we test on Ubuntu 9.10 is built on Ubuntu 9.04, which is a 2.6.28 kernel. The kit will likely run fine. However, we officially support a limited number of platforms for production use.
Candidate?
henning
Apr 4, 2010
Any chance gentoo will be among them?
Gentoo support
tcallaghan
Apr 5, 2010
Any chance gentoo will be among them?

Henning,
When we have a larger community of users testing and running VoltDB we will certainly find out what the most popular Linux distributions are for VoltDB. We currently believe that CentOS will be the overwhelming choice.
Please count me in as someone
ypcx
Sep 1, 2011
Please count me in as someone who would like to see VoltDB officially supported on Gentoo, the best Linux distro.
Thanks!
Gentoo
rbetts
Sep 2, 2011
VoltDB should run without any issues on Gentoo. However, we don't have a cluster of Gentoo boxes set up to do our own testing. Love the Gentoo enthusiasm. In terms of qualifying the product for Gentoo, though, I'm not sure how meaningful that would be given the highly customized results the distribution encourages. The configuration and binaries on our test cluster would likely be different from yours... which defeats our intentions when doing OS-specific qualification.