Forum: Installation

need help with step by step installation
NATIVIDAD
Apr 10, 2011
hi i need help with installation on Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10
the truth I am new to this linux and I was having trouble walking
could please give me a video that contains the installation and an example. Many thanks in advance.
re: step by step installation
tcallaghan
Apr 12, 2011
Have you checked our documentation at http://www.voltdb.com/community/documentation.php for help with installing VoltDB and running the example applications?

We plan on doing short videos on this and other topics in the future.

If you are still having issues please email me at support@voltdb.com, I'd be happy to do a web conference to show you the install process on our servers or yours.
-Tim
Hello, i think im in the same
vinzsanity
May 17, 2011
Hello,
i think im in the same situation.
I plan to install a version of voltDB on an Amazon Instance.
I found this AMIs:
AMI ID: ami-2501e04c
Source: com.voltdb.amis/image.manifest.xml

What kind of Image is this?
Any Informations about that?

Thanks.
vinzsanity
Quick instructions on how to setup VoltDB on EC2
sebc
May 18, 2011
Hello,
i think im in the same situation.
I plan to install a version of voltDB on an Amazon Instance.
I found this AMIs:
AMI ID: ami-2501e04c
Source: com.voltdb.amis/image.manifest.xml

What kind of Image is this?
Any Informations about that?

Thanks.
vinzsanity

Vinzsanity,
I have no clue about that AMI - certainly not something we published, so I wouldn't go with it (plus it's quite old anyways). You'll find that setting up VoltDB on EC2 is quite trivial - I gave you the steps below.

For a multi-sever deployment, you can simply repeat the process and will also obviously have to consider generic cluster configuration matters such as proper time synchronization using NTP; this is extremely important on Amazon EC2 where clock drifts tend to vary widely (and wildly) as you are pretty much ensured to get your virtual servers hosted on different physical hosts. While Amazon indicates that their hosts are NTP'd together within an AZ, the time synchronization isn't nearly as accurate enough for your needs with Volt.

I'll be happy to give you additional instructions on setting NTP on Amazon if you need to go in that direction.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Instructions on how to setup a VoltDB Amazon EC2 instance.

1/. Download latest JDK from:
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6u24-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
- At the time of writing, this is version 6u24
- Download to your local machine (you need a browser and all that, so unfortunately you can't curl/wget it).
- Make sure you get the 64bit Linux version.

2/. Start a fresh, new Ubuntu AMI - I recommend you search for: 099720109477/ebs/ubuntu-images/ubuntu-lucid-10.04-amd64-server-20110201.1 - this is a stable Ubuntu 10.04 instance, and strongly advise against using the official Ubuntu-provided 10.10 server instances which have virtualization lock-up issues on EC2 (both experienced and wildly reported in the community)

In a new terminal window:

3/. Copy the JDK install package to the AMI:scp -i yourkey.pem ../Downloads/jdk-6u24-linux-x64.bin ubuntu@yourami.compute-1.amazonaws.com:~/

4/. SSH into your AMI:ssh -i yourkey.pem ubuntu@yourami.compute-1.amazonaws.com

5/. Run the following command to create an "archives" folder (we will keep install packages there):mkdir archives

6/. Run the following commands to update your AMI to the latest patches and install ant:sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y --fix-missing ant

7/. Run the following commands to install JDK 6u24cd /opt sudo ~/jdk-6u24-linux-x64.bin sudo ln -s jdk1.6.0_24 jdk echo "export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk" >> ~/.bashrc echo "export PATH=\$JAVA_HOME/bin:\$PATH" >> ~/.bashrc export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdkexport PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATHcd ~/ mv jdk-6u24-linux-x64.bin archives

8/. Download the latest VoltDB package and copy it to your AMI, then run the following command to download and install it:tar -xzf LINUX-voltdb-1.3.1.tar.gz

9/. Running the samples
This is it. Run the following commands to start the Voter sample application's server:cd ~/voltdb-1.3.1/examples/voter ant

Either after sending the server process to the background or in a new SSH session, run the following to run the client:cd ~/voltdb-1.3.1/examples/voter ant client

10/. Further considerations for cluster deployments and production usage

Keep in mind that this is a "sandbox" setup: if you wish to deploy a cluster, you will want to setup and run NTP on your nodes to ensure proper time synchronization, disabling the virtualization host-provided 'Xen' wall-clock.

You will also want to review your security deployment. Just as with usual database server deployments, we do not recommend you expose VoltDB server nodes to the internet - instead, your security group should be configured such that only machines within your account can access the server - this generally corresponds to AWS's original "default" group definition where only internal communication is possible, along with authenticated SSH sessions. If you want to expose the server to the internet, you should create additional security groups (for instance to open port 21212 for external client applications to connect to your nodes), and layer groups together when you start your AMI.

As a conclusion to this installation and your own VoltDB application deployment, you should create your own private AMI template so you can quickly start up new node for capacity expansion or node replacement. Consider adding your own startup script to initiate the server after the instance has been started (NTP configuration, monitoring, or automated operations such as cluster startup/rejoin).

For more information on launching the server process in the background and considerations for production deployments, see:
http://forum.voltdb.com/showthread.php?434-Start-in-background-require-user-input-to-contiue&highlight=Start+background+require+user+input+contiue%3F
and the VoltDB documentation available at: http://www.voltdb.com/community/documentation.php
Installation
RHubli
Aug 9, 2011
Hi guys,
I would like to write my own application, however first i need to start volt DB as a server and try and experiment to store data on it. I just downloaded the community edition and could some tell me the steps to do the installation and runnning of the server.
Thanks,
Rajat
Just crank up the demo
sebc
Aug 9, 2011
Hi guys,
I would like to write my own application, however first i need to start volt DB as a server and try and experiment to store data on it. I just downloaded the community edition and could some tell me the steps to do the installation and runnning of the server.
Thanks,
Rajat

Rajat,
There's a page called "Click Here to Start.html" - I suggest you do that ;-) It'll give you a few tips. If you're past those steps, you now know that VoltDB can run as an "application" or daemon in the background - there is not standing background process always available. Simply head to the "examples" folder and play with the samples there - you will quickly get your bearings simply from running those samples and looking under the hood.
Hope this helps,
Seb
Installation of Community Edition
Shanky
Jul 29, 2013
Hi All,

I am new to linux and voltdb.

I am stuck in the installation part. I have community edition while creating a catalog it is giving me error while reading the license.xml file

Please help me....
jpiekos
Jul 29, 2013
The license.xml file is requested for the Enterprise version only. Are you sure you downloaded Community? Perhaps try and re-download and re-install the Community version.

John