Forum: Building APIs & Wire Protocol

4 bytes column name sizes
henning
May 16, 2010
I appreciate that for consistency, the names of columns in the wire protocol have their length encoded with 4 bytes.

However, that results into three guaranteed zero bytes for (almost) every column in every VoltTable ever to run across the wires. I could think of places where I'd rather spent those bytes on and, I'll be happy to outline them in a different post.

Also, the consistency achieved can only be limited as column names can only be ASCII whereas all stored strings are UTF-8. Meaning, there likely has to be some destinction when parsing, or constructing the column names, anyway. At least when verifying the contents.

If I can be dramatic for an instant, I find those bytes almost a violation of the VoltDB spirit of raw speed that is pretty visible in the rest of the protocol. Seemingly so much so, I felt compelled to mail Ariel to make sure it was'nt a doc error :-o. So at least for me the impression was not of consistency but the opposite.

If there are forces in-house at VoltDB to remove two to three bytes of that size fields I would like to second them.

Henning
That's something to think
jhugg
May 16, 2010
That's something to think about. Thanks for the suggestion.
Totally agree.
dyu
Jun 11, 2011
Haven't used voltdb yet (been lurking the forums) ... So here's my first post to back his comments.
If not 1 byte, 2-bytes should already do it.
sabakanwal
Dec 15, 2014
Any thought to a solr api to voltdb?

You can check out our latest scjp - testking and testking exams written by our 700-501 - braindumps - questions to help you pass Miami International University of Art & Design.You can also purchase mines.edu. Our northwood is simply excellent in quality.
jpiekos
Dec 15, 2014
Yes, we've considered it - can you describe your use case to help me better understand what you are trying to accomplish?