Forum: Installation

Install voltDB on Fedora
tuancao
Apr 9, 2010
Hi,
I have run all the given examples on a single node. They are working fine for me. I am going to run them on our own cluster, which runs Fedora. I wonder if I need a source code to compile or I just use the given compiled kit.
Thanks,
Tuan
Fedora support
tcallaghan
Apr 9, 2010
Tuan,

The CentOS compiled kit should run just fine on Fedora. It is very important that you are running the Sun JDK 6 Update 18 (or now 19) and that you have the "Card-Marking Optimization" disabled, per the release notes of VoltDB 0.6.02:

CentOS 5.4 and Sun JDK 6 Update 18

CentOS has always been the target platform for VoltDB. However, there was a defect in the OpenJDK and Sun JVMs that affected VoltDB and was easily reproducible in older Linux distributions. For that reason, in earlier releases VoltDB recommended against using CentOS 5.4 as a development platform. The current Sun JDK (update 18) resolves this defect. With this resolution, VoltDB is able to verify VoltDB running Sun JDK 6 update 18 on CentOS 5.4. Therefore, CentOS is the recommended platform for VoltDB going forward.
Note
OpenJDK has yet to package a fix for this bug, which is why the Sun JDK is recommended. For more
information, please see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6822370.

Disabling Card-Marking Optimization in Sun JDK 6 Update 18

However, the latest Sun JDK also introduces a new issue related to performance optimization and garbage collection. (See http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u18.html for details.) To use VoltDB (or any memory intensive application) with JDK 6 update 18, you must disable the card marking optimization, using the following command line argument:

java -XX:-ReduceInitialCardMarks

Be sure to add this command line argument to your Ant build scripts. If you choose to use OpenJDK or the Macintosh operating system (which is not supported by Sun JDK) for development, you will not (and cannot) use the preceding argument, because ReduceInitialCardMarks is specific to the Sun JDK. In this case, leave your build scripts as is.

Let us know how it works out.
-Tim
Ant Scripts
henning
Apr 9, 2010
Be sure to add this command line argument to your Ant build scripts. If you choose to use OpenJDK or the Macintosh operating system (which is not supported by Sun JDK) for development, you will not (and cannot) use the preceding argument, because ReduceInitialCardMarks is specific to the Sun JDK. In this case, leave your build scripts as is.

"Be sure to add this command line argument to your *Ant* build scripts."
When building VoltDB? Or VoltDB Apps, or both?
Ant Scripts
tcallaghan
Apr 9, 2010
"Be sure to add this command line argument to your *Ant* build scripts."
When building VoltDB? Or VoltDB Apps, or both?

Henning,
You must add this to your ant targets that are starting your servers. It doesn't hurt to add it all ant targets.
-Tim
I had a problem of
khaitran
Apr 12, 2010
Henning,
You must add this to your ant targets that are starting your servers. It doesn't hurt to add it all ant targets.
-Tim

I had a problem of decompressing the file voltdb-0.6.02.tar.gz
tar -zxvf voltdb-0.6.02.tar.gz -C $HOME/

The error message I got is:
"gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"

My machine is running Red Hat 4.1.2-46.
re: problem with kit
tcallaghan
Apr 13, 2010
I had a problem of decompressing the file voltdb-0.6.02.tar.gz
tar -zxvf voltdb-0.6.02.tar.gz -C $HOME/

The error message I got is:
"gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"

My machine is running Red Hat 4.1.2-46.

khaitran,
Can you try downloading the file again? I just downloaded it and ran your exact command without issue. I think you may have a corrupt file.
-Tim