Forum: Installation

Post: C++ compiler errors while building VoltDB from trunk

C++ compiler errors while building VoltDB from trunk
petrohi
Sep 30, 2010
I am trying to build VoltDB from trunk on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit and I get bunch of C++ compiler errors when building ee.
[exec] ../../src/ee/common/NValue.hpp:262: error: integer constant is too large for ‘long’ type
[exec] ../../src/ee/common/NValue.hpp: In member function ‘voltdb::TTInt voltdb::NValue::castAsDecimalAndGetValue() const’:
[exec] ../../src/ee/common/NValue.hpp:698: error: call of overloaded ‘Int(int64_t&)’ is ambiguous
More similar errors follow.
re: C++ compiler errors while building VoltDB from trunk
tcallaghan
Sep 30, 2010
VoltDB requires a 64-bit operating system, full system requirements are available here.

-Tim
re: C++ compiler errors while bulding VoltDB from trunk
petrohi
Sep 30, 2010
Section 2.3 of "Getting started" document mentioned "If you [...] want to install VoltDB for a currently unsupported platform, you must build a new distribution kit from the VoltDB source files."

Does this mean that even building from sources requires 64-bit OS?
re: C++ compiler errors while building VoltDB from trunk
tcallaghan
Sep 30, 2010
Does this mean that even building from sources requires 64-bit OS?

Yes, VoltDB currently compiles on 64-bit distributions of Linux and 64-bit Mac OSX only.

I occasionally hear from community members who tell me they are going to work through the process of building VoltDB on a 32-bit OS. Though the amount of addressable memory in 32-bit is very limited, it would be interesting to understand the changes necessary.

-Tim