Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Packaging of VoltDB libraries
shetty_ritesh
Apr 21, 2010
I observed that Voltdb jar ie voltdb-0.6.02.jar has other third party classfiles packaged into it like hsql and log4j.
In my opinion third party lib should be independent.
re: Packaging of VoltDB libraries
tcallaghan
Apr 22, 2010
Shetty,

Thanks for the input, we'll take it into consideration.

-Tim
Hi Tim, One more packaging
shetty_ritesh
Apr 27, 2010
Shetty,

Thanks for the input, we'll take it into consideration.

-Tim

Hi Tim,
One more packaging problem. When we generate the catalog the final output is a jar file with the DDL, java classes and a catalog.txt file

This txt file is specific to an enviorment. Which means for QA i need a different STG and production i need a differet jar file.

The binaries in my opinion should be seperated from the enviorment specific configurations.
Hence the jar should be deployable till production with out any changes, just the txt file having all node related info should be generated seperately. This way we can seperate code from release activites/ deployment

Regards
Ritesh
re: packaging
tcallaghan
Apr 27, 2010
Hi Tim,
One more packaging problem. When we generate the catalog the final output is a jar file with the DDL, java classes and a catalog.txt file

This txt file is specific to an enviorment. Which means for QA i need a different STG and production i need a differet jar file...

Ritesh

Shetty,

This is also good feedback. I've created a ticket in our issue tracking system (JIRA) so all your ideas will be considered.

-Tim
Tim, Dont know if this is
shetty_ritesh
Jul 1, 2010
Shetty,

This is also good feedback. I've created a ticket in our issue tracking system (JIRA) so all your ideas will be considered.

-Tim
Tim,

Dont know if this is implemented in the latets version of the VotlDB or not.

also one more suggestion. Now a days many organizations use maven for making a build. I
think it would be very very clean if volt db build can be done using maven.

Ritesh
Ritesh, Separating the
tcallaghan
Jul 2, 2010
Tim,

Dont know if this is implemented in the latets version of the VotlDB or not.

also one more suggestion. Now a days many organizations use maven for making a build. I
think it would be very very clean if volt db build can be done using maven.

Ritesh

Ritesh,

Separating the deployment topology from the rest of the catalog file is an effort in V1.1 of

VoltDB. You can see the item at this link http://issues.voltdb.com/browse/ENG-510
As for Maven, I'd like to discuss with you to understand the entire nature of the request.

-Tim