Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Cannot start server??
wanghan
Apr 11, 2010
I tried to run the Hello World Application, but finally I got the error below.
I don't know what is wrong.
Somebody can help me?

Thank you very much.

Error detail:
28 [main] INFO HOST - Loading...
_ __ ____ ____ ____
| | / /___ / / /_/ __ \/ __ )
| | / / __ \/ / __/ / / / __ |
| |/ / /_/ / / /_/ /_/ / /_/ /
|___/\____/_/\__/_____/_____/
Initialization Log Output:
--------------------------------
35 [main] INFO HOST - Build: 0.6.01 https://svn.voltdb.com/eng/branches/voltdb-0.6?revision=149
63 [main] INFO HOST - HTTP admin console listening on port 8080
63 [main] INFO HOST - Loading application catalog jarfile from /home/wh/helloworld/helloworld.jar
263 [main] INFO HOST - Creating host manager for 1 hosts using leader localhost/127.0.0.1
279 [Thread-3] INFO HOST - Connecting to VoltDB cluster as the leader...
279 [Thread-3] INFO HOST - Maximum clock/network skew is 0 milliseconds (according to leader)
java.lang.Thread.dumpThreads(Native Method)
java.lang.Thread.getAllStackTraces(Thread.java:1487)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.crashVoltDB(VoltDB.java:210)
org.voltdb.EELibraryLoader.loadExecutionEngineLibrary(EELibraryLoader.java:56)
org.voltdb.jni.ExecutionEngine.(ExecutionEngine.java:95)
org.voltdb.jni.ExecutionEngineJNI.(ExecutionEngineJNI.java:83)
org.voltdb.ExecutionSite.(ExecutionSite.java:437)
org.voltdb.RealVoltDB.initialize(RealVoltDB.java:270)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.initialize(VoltDB.java:257)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.main(VoltDB.java:245)
VoltDB has encountered an unrecoverable error and is exiting.
The log may contain additional information.
324 [main] INFO HOST - Attempting to load native VoltDB library voltdb-0.6.01. Expect to see a confirmation following this upon success. If none appears then you may need to compile VoltDB for your platform
325 [main] FATAL HOST - Library VOLTDB JNI shared library loading failed. Library path /opt/voltdb/voltdb
Cannot start server.
tcallaghan
Apr 12, 2010
Please check the that the directory you installed VoltDB into is the same as the path you are passing when you start VoltDB. There are some helpful hints in this post.

From your message it appears that you started the server similar to "java -Djava.library.path=/opt/voltdb/voltdb org.voltdb.VoltDB catalog helloworld.jar", meaning Java will look for shared libraries (.so files) in /opt/voltdb/voltdb. Make sure that the path you pass to -Djava.library.path constains the VoltDB shared library file.

Let me know if this addresses your issue, we've had this reported by a few users and want to clearly address it in the next release.

-Tim
Thank you very much, Tim. I
wanghan
Apr 12, 2010
Please check the that the directory you installed VoltDB into is the same as the path you are passing when you start VoltDB. There are some helpful hints in this post...

-Tim

Thank you very much, Tim.

I know what's wrong with my application.
My command is OK, it seems that the java version on my machine doesn't match voltDB.

-Han
JNI Loading problem on Ubuntu
eribeiro
Apr 25, 2010
I am also facing the JNI library loading problem on Ubuntu. I've checked the *.so path many times. I am quite confident on it. At least, up to now. :)
My kernel and JVM configurations are:

$uname -a
Linux edward-laptop 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

javac 1.6.0_14

I will update the JVM version and get in touch if anything succeeds, but I am unsure if this update will solve this loading problem. Could it be a kernel version problem? A library build version problem?

Last, but not least the logging output follows below:

edward@edward-laptop:/opt/voltdb-0.6.02/examples/helloworld$ ./execute.sh
No logging configuration supplied via -Dlog4j.configuration. Supplying default config that logs to INFO or higher to STDOUT

** BEGIN PROJECT COMPILE: project.xml **
27 [main] INFO COMPILER - Catalog leader: localhost hosts, sites 1, 1
378 [main] INFO COMPILER - Path to catalog helloworld.sql
INFO [Insert.class]: Compiling Statement: INSERT INTO HELLOWORLD VALUES (?, ?, ?);
INFO [Select.class]: Compiling Statement: SELECT HELLO, WORLD FROM HELLOWORLD WHERE DIALECT = ?;
No logging configuration supplied via -Dlog4j.configuration. Supplying default config that logs to INFO or higher to STDOUT
23 [main] INFO HOST - Loading...
_ __ ____ ____ ____
| | / /___ / / /_/ __ \/ __ )
| | / / __ \/ / __/ / / / __ |
| |/ / /_/ / / /_/ /_/ / /_/ /
|___/\____/_/\__/_____/_____/
Initialization Log Output:
--------------------------------
29 [main] INFO HOST - Build: 0.6.02 https://svn.voltdb.com/eng/branches/voltdb-0.6?revision=212
45 [main] INFO HOST - HTTP admin console listening on port 8080
45 [main] INFO HOST - Loading application catalog jarfile from /opt/voltdb-0.6.02/examples/helloworld/helloworld.jar
225 [main] INFO HOST - Creating host manager for 1 hosts using leader localhost/127.0.0.1
259 [Thread-3] INFO HOST - Connecting to VoltDB cluster as the leader...
260 [Thread-3] INFO HOST - Maximum clock/network skew is 0 milliseconds (according to leader)
java.lang.Thread.dumpThreads(Native Method)
java.lang.Thread.getAllStackTraces(Thread.java:1487)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.crashVoltDB(VoltDB.java:210)
org.voltdb.EELibraryLoader.loadExecutionEngineLibrary(EELibraryLoader.java:56)
org.voltdb.jni.ExecutionEngine.(ExecutionEngine.java:95)
org.voltdb.jni.ExecutionEngineJNI.(ExecutionEngineJNI.java:83)
org.voltdb.ExecutionSite.(ExecutionSite.java:437)
org.voltdb.RealVoltDB.initialize(RealVoltDB.java:270)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.initialize(VoltDB.java:257)
org.voltdb.VoltDB.main(VoltDB.java:245)
VoltDB has encountered an unrecoverable error and is exiting.
The log may contain additional information.
303 [main] INFO HOST - Attempting to load native VoltDB library voltdb-0.6.02. Expect to see a confirmation following this upon success. If none appears then you may need to compile VoltDB for your platform
303 [main] FATAL HOST - Library VOLTDB JNI shared library loading failed. Library path /opt/voltdb-0.6.02/voltdb

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Edward
I've just realized that I am
eribeiro
Apr 26, 2010
I am also facing the JNI library loading problem on Ubuntu. I've checked the *.so path many times. I am quite confident on it. At least, up to now. :)
My kernel and JVM configurations are:..
Edward

I've just realized that I am running a 32-bit kernel on top of a 2-cores 64-bit CPU. As the *.so file is 64-bit binary I guess this causes the error on library loading. Well, now I need to reinstall my Linux distribution before before marking this issue as solved. :)

Edward
re: Cannot start server??
tcallaghan
Apr 26, 2010
I've just realized that I am running a 32-bit kernel on top of a 2-cores 64-bit CPU. As the *.so file is 64-bit binary I guess this causes the error on library loading. Well, now I need to reinstall my Linux distribution before before marking this issue as solved. :)

Edward

Edward,

You are correct, we are 64-bit only. "uname -m" should respond with "x86_64".
If you get "i686" then you are 32-bit and VoltDB will not run.

-Tim
I got the same problem with
tony
Jun 20, 2010
I got the same problem with Edward. It seems that I should change the os.
Thank you all.