Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Post: Can we measure the time needed to save and retrieve a snapshot in Auto mode

Can we measure the time needed to save and retrieve a snapshot in Auto mode
shetty_ritesh
May 12, 2010
Hi,

I have configured my project.xml to save the snapshot every 30 mins. I need to know if i can measure the time needed to save the entire data into the snapshot file and also the time needed to recover from a snapshot when database is comming up.

Ritesh
Correction , i mean time
shetty_ritesh
May 12, 2010
Correction , i mean time taken to save and restore.
re: Time to create snapshots and recover from snapshots
tcallaghan
May 12, 2010
Ritesh,

Both of these questions are dependent on the capabilities (CPU, RAM, Disk IO) of your VoltDB cluster.

The time required to create a snapshot is something you can see for yourself. When you are running snapshots automatically, via your project.xml configuration, you will see the snapshot creation time of each snapshot in your server console window. There is a snapshot daemon within VoltDB on one of the nodes that will also report the time taken to initiate new snapshots and delete old ones.

To determine the restore time of a snapshot you'll need to create a snapshot and do a restore. Restore is also CPU/RAM/Disk dependent so restoring on a cluster similar to your production environment is preferred.

-Tim
re: snapshot creation time
tcallaghan
May 17, 2010
Ritesh,

You can also programatically determine how long snapshots are taking by calling the @SnapshotStatus sysproc.

-Tim