Forum: Managing VoltDB

Getting started with Eclipse
Tyler
Sep 14, 2011
This is likely resultant of a long haitus from a java environment but I've been having a hard time getting the Eclipse project instructions to work.

- Generated project using python script

- Create project using build.xml, this kind of works but gives an error: Problem setting the classpath of the project from the javac classpath: Reference project.classpath not found.

- Able to continue though, followed all Eclipse instructions to the end, but after adjusting Ant build properties for build.xml and Running it does the Synthesizing for the procedures and then throws Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: VoltProcedure (I can paste full stack trace if needed).

I've played around a lot and tried to search for more info but no luck yet. And hello world is working outside of this environment no problem.

Thanks for reading; any tips?
Eclipse of the heart
rbetts
Sep 14, 2011
Hi Tyler,

Here's what I did:

Ran generate, putting the output in my eclipse workspace directory. Then created a new eclipse java project from that content. I modified the eclipse to remove the catalog.jar (in case you have previously compiled the generated example), and added voltdb-2.0.jar as an external JAR.

This is sufficient to get eclipse to compile the example procedures, and to get code completion working.
Thanks rbetts, I think the
Tyler
Sep 14, 2011
Hi Tyler,

Here's what I did:

Ran generate, putting the output in my eclipse workspace directory. Then created a new eclipse java project from that content. I modified the eclipse to remove the catalog.jar (in case you have previously compiled the generated example), and added voltdb-2.0.jar as an external JAR.

Thanks rbetts, I think the workspace directory was indeed the core of my issue. And possibly the version of Eclipse in the ubuntu software center. After sorting the workspace and using Eclipse IDE for Java Developers from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ I seem to be in much better shape and instructions worked.

Build successful, music.