Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Application Management
chbussler
Apr 3, 2010
Hi,

there are two questions on my mind; I have not tried to figure it out yet myself, but I asked anyway:

(a) How do I remove an application? E.g., I was running the Satellite example. Now I'd like to remove it from the database, how do I remove an application?

(b) How do I run different applications concurrently? This is really a question with two parts: (1) How do I run two different applications on the same set of tables? And, how do I run applications that do not have any tables in common?

Thanks,

Christoph
Application Management
tcallaghan
Apr 5, 2010
Chrisoph,

(a) How do I remove an application? E.g., I was running the Satellite example. Now I'd like to remove it from the database, how do I remove an application?

Since VoltDB is an in-memory database there really is no "removal" of applications. When you shut-down the running VoltDB instance (either by executing the "@Shutdown" system procedure or Control-C in the server console window) the application no longer exists. If you took one or more
snapshots of the system prior to shut-down you may want to delete them.

(b) How do I run different applications concurrently? This is really a question with two parts: (1) How do I run two different applications on the same set of tables? (2) And, how do I run applications that do not have any tables in common?

(1) There is no limit to the number of different client applications connecting to a single VoltDB instance.
(2) For clarity, you can have multiple SQL DDL files in the section of your application project file.

-Tim
Application management
chbussler
Apr 6, 2010
Chrisoph,

Since VoltDB is an in-memory database there really is no "removal" of applications. When you shut-down the running VoltDB instance (either by executing the "@Shutdown" system procedure or Control-C in the server console window) the application no longer exists. If you took one or more
snapshots of the system prior to shut-down you may want to delete them...

-Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks; clearly (a) was a beginner's question :-) Thanks for clarifying (b), I'll have to try out the various scenarios.

Christoph