Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Query Analyzer and Stored Debug Queries
henning
Mar 1, 2010
Is the query catalog analyzer thrown off by broadly formulated stored procedure queries that are intended for debugging and monitoring, which would be called extremely rarely?
Need More Information
tcallaghan
Mar 1, 2010
Henning,

Can you please provide more information? What exactly do you mean by "broadly formulated stored procedure queries"?

-Tim
Broad Stored Procedure
henning
Mar 2, 2010
Henning,

Can you please provide more information? What exactly do you mean by "broadly formulated stored procedure queries"?

-Tim

I expect there to be restrictions that I might not have run into yet. But how about:

"Select ? from ? where ?=?"

This could not be pre-analyzed at all I guess. Other examples of milder nature might pose similar but solvable challenges.

I understand that VoltDB is not made for Warehousing. I am trying to understand from what point on it becomes mandatory to have a dedicated copy of the entire data made for arbitrary queries. Some more strategical decisions are relying heavily on the insight I can gather about these limits.

Thanks!
Henning
Broad Stored Procedure
tcallaghan
Mar 2, 2010
I expect there to be restrictions that I might not have run into yet. But how about:

"Select ? from ? where ?=?"

This could not be pre-analyzed at all I guess. Other examples of milder nature might pose similar but solvable challenges.

I understand that VoltDB is not made for Warehousing. I am trying to understand from what point on it becomes mandatory to have a dedicated copy of the entire data made for arbitrary queries. Some more strategical decisions are relying heavily on the insight I can gather about these limits.

Thanks!
Henning

Henning,

VoltDB only allows '?' to serve as place-holders for literals, it will not substitute in for column or table names.

For V1 we will support a "mutating catalog" so you can add, modify, and remove stored procedures to a running system. This is how you would support unanticipated SQL when your system is first deployed. Ad-hoc SQL support will still be available for the "1 time" queries.

-Tim
Thanks!
henning
Mar 4, 2010
Henning,

VoltDB only allows '?' to serve as place-holders for literals, it will not substitute in for column or table names.

For V1 we will support a "mutating catalog" so you can add, modify, and remove stored procedures to a running system. This is how you would support unanticipated SQL when your system is first deployed. Ad-hoc SQL support will still be available for the "1 time" queries.

-Tim

Great, thanks!