Forum: Installation

Cannot start VoltDB on Kubuntu
avaluedcustomer
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,

I tried running VoltDB on Kubuntu but apparently that is not supported.

When starting the demo (using ~/voltdb-2.8.4.1/tools/demo/launch voter), I get the following error message:

We're sorry. This demo only supports Gnome's Terminal and OSX's Terminal.app.

So I thought to simply start VoltDB directly using ~/voltdb-2.8.4.1/bin/voltdb, but all I get is the message:

Initializing VoltDB...

_    __      ____  ____  ____ 
| |  / /___  / / /_/ __ \/ __ )
| | / / __ \/ / __/ / / / __  |
| |/ / /_/ / / /_/ /_/ / /_/ / 
|___/\____/_/\__/_____/_____/

--------------------------------

Build: 2.8.4.1 voltdb-2.8.4.1-0-g0c0f8c2-local Community Edition
Connecting to VoltDB cluster as the leader...
FATAL: The catalog file location is missing,  please see usage for more information
VoltDB has encountered an unrecoverable error and is exiting.

Does this mean, VoltDB simply doesn't run on Kubuntu?

Or do I need to "initalize" the database system somehow? The installation guide doesn't mention anything, it simply says to start VoltDB.
bballard
Jan 11, 2013
Hi avaluedcustomer,

VoltDB is supported on CentOS 5.6+, RHEL 5.6+, or Ubuntu 10.4+, but it should run on most current distributions of 64-bit Linux.

The first problem you are having is an issue with the demo, not the database. The demo "Click Here to Start" page uses a script to launch a Terminal window for you, and this only works with Gnome or on OSX. But you can still follow the instructions to open a Terminal window yourself and type in the commands to start the database and client.

The second problem you're having is that you are trying to start the database without providing sufficient information. The voltdb script is used to start the database, but it needs a catalog file, which is a pre-compiled .jar file that contains your schema and stored procedures.

I recommend "Welcome to VoltDB, A Tutorial" as a good starting point. This is a tutorial document on our web site, under Community -> Documentation. It leads you through the process step by step with a few iterations to introduce a few concepts at a time. We also have the "Getting Started" guide, which is another tutorial that goes a little faster and covers writing a simple "Hello World" java client application. For more study, there is a chapter in the "Performance Guide" called "Hello World Revisited" that is a follow-on to Getting Started.

Thanks,
Ben
avaluedcustomer
Jan 14, 2013
But you can still follow the instructions to open a Terminal window yourself and type in the commands to start the database and client.
That's what I did, and it still gave me that error message.

The second problem you're having is that you are trying to start the database without providing sufficient information. The voltdb script is used to start the database, but it needs a catalog file, which is a pre-compiled .jar file that contains your schema and stored procedures.
Blush - I'll go back read the manual in more detail. I must have missed the step where I need to create the .jar file...

Thanks
bballard
Jan 14, 2013
That's what I did, and it still gave me that error message.

My mistake, I thought we had some additional instructions there. The "tools/demo/launch" script is what only works with Gnome or OSX Terminal. On any other system, you can instead open two terminal windows and enter the following commands. This is what the launch script does.

In the first window, start the database:

cd examples/voter
./run.sh server

In the other window, run the client:

cd examples/voter
./run.sh client

There are further instructions in "examples/voter/README" on how to modify the run.sh script to change the input parameters for the client.