Getting Started volddb compile
theschmitzer
Jan 22, 2013
I'm working through helloworld in the Getting Started guide, which says to type

$ voltdb compile -o helloworld.jar  helloworld.sql

Which gives me the error:

$ voltdb compile -o helloworld.jar helloworld.sql 
FATAL: Unrecognized option to VoltDB: compile
Usage: voltdb create [host <hostname>] [deployment <deployment.xml>] catalog <catalog.jar>
       voltdb recover [host <hostname>] [deployment <deployment.xml>]
       voltdb rejoin host <hostname>
If action is not specified the default is to 'recover' the database if a snapshot is present otherwise 'create'.
If no deployment is specified, a default 1 node cluster deployment will be configured.

What may I be doing wrong?
bballard
Jan 23, 2013
What version of VoltDB are you using? The "voltdb compile" command was recently introduced, prior to that there was a separate command line tool called "voltcompiler".
theschmitzer
Jan 24, 2013
voltdb-2.8.4.1, downloaded Tuesday

I see there is a voltdb 3.0, maybe my timing was to blame. Thanks
bballard
Jan 24, 2013
Yes, we released VoltDB 3.0 mid-day on Tuesday, so you must have downloaded before the update to the site.

We recommend that you download and use 3.0 because of all the advantages you can read about on our site. If for any reason you wanted to keep using version 2.8.4.1, the PDF documentation is included with the kit as PDFs under the doc folder.
bballard
Jan 24, 2013
Yes, we released VoltDB 3.0 mid-day on Tuesday, so you must have downloaded before the update to the site.

We recommend that you download and use 3.0 because of all the advantages you can read about on our site. If for any reason you wanted to keep using version 2.8.4.1, the PDF documentation is included with the kit as PDFs under the doc folder.