Forum: Managing VoltDB

Reduce the space allocated to Voltdb
Shanky
Aug 29, 2013
As it is written in the system requirement that 4GB space is required for Voltdb installation. How is this 4 gb memory allocated to voltdb in the starting only or is it allocated in chunks as the database will grow.

And can we reduce this space if it is allocated in the staring itself.

Regards ,
Shanky Goyal
Shanky
Aug 29, 2013
please reply soon
jhugg
Aug 29, 2013
Is there something specific you are trying to accomplish?

VoltDB will allocate some memory at startup, but it typically won't allocate 4gb. Largely, the memory allocated is dependent on the complexity of the application catalog you'll be running on VoltDB. We specify 4gb as a guideline more than a hard and fast rule. Perhaps some apps with very small state could run in 2gb, but there is risk that you could fail by running out of memory if you're not very careful. Most of our deployments are on machines with >= 8gb of ram, but many people develop VoltDB apps on machines with less memory.

We are working to reduce the memory requirements of VoltDB with each release, but we are a ways from lowering the 4gb recommendation.
Shanky
Aug 29, 2013
The server on which i have installed VoltDB has less memory. As other things are also working so i was wondering if there is a way to reduce the memory space it takes up initially
Shanky
Aug 29, 2013
As on the server on which i am working it is taking 4GB.
jhugg
Aug 29, 2013
Sorry. There isn't much that can be done. How are you measuring the memory used by VoltDB? What is the resident set size reported by "top" for example?

Out of curiosity, can you tell me how many tables and procedures your application has? Or are you running a sample application?
Shanky
Aug 29, 2013
its just a sample application which i am running....it is having 2 tables there is no data as for now.

what exactly the memory it takes when it is installed with no applications and stuff.????

On more thing if i am using a cluster then i'll have to start one server like server1, keep it in running state and then start the next server like server2.

Now if server1 crashes will server2 also crash...????