Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Testing VoltDB
mixja
Feb 19, 2015
I am getting started with testing/debugging VoltDB stored procedures and have been using the following article for guidance - https://github.com/VoltDB/voltdb/wiki/Using-Eclipse-to-Develop-and-Debug-VoltDB-Client-Applications. I have this example setup in IntelliJ but I am encountering issues with VoltDB unable to find a trial license (I am using the VoltDB Enterprise distribution and would prefer to use this as it will be the version I deploy). To attempt to overcome the error I have tried the following, but this is not working:

I have added the following in the VoltDB configuration settings:

// Create a VoltDB configuration
VoltDB.Configuration config = new VoltDB.Configuration(new PortGenerator());
config.m_pathToCatalog = VoltDB.Configuration.getPathToCatalogForTest("testclient.jar");
config.m_pathToDeployment = VoltDB.Configuration.getPathToCatalogForTest("testclient.xml");
config.m_pathToLicense = "/Users/xxxxxx/Applications/voltdb/voltdb/license.xml";

Below is the error output which fires on the server.waitForInitialization() call below:

// Start a ServerThread as an in-process VoltDB back-end.
server = new ServerThread(config);
server.start();
server.waitForInitialization();

Error:

Initializing VoltDB...

_    __      ____  ____  ____ 
| |  / /___  / / /_/ __ \/ __ )
| | / / __ \/ / __/ / / / __  |
| |/ / /_/ / / /_/ /_/ / /_/ / 
|___/\____/_/\__/_____/_____/

--------------------------------

Build: 5.0.2 voltdb-5.0.2-0-g86cd094-local Enterprise Edition
Connecting to VoltDB cluster as the leader...
Host id of this node is: 0
FATAL: Unable to open license file in provided path: [community]
FATAL: Please contact sales@voltdb.com to request a license.
FATAL: Failed to initialize license verifier. See previous log message for details.
VoltDB has encountered an unrecoverable error and is exiting.
arthurz
Mar 13, 2015
I suspect you eirther do not have the license file in /Users/xxxxxx/Applications/voltdb/voltdb/ or have no rights to acccess it. More like there is no license.xml in the directory.