Forum: Building VoltDB Applications

Exposing VoltDb to Excel
arthurz
Mar 11, 2015
Greetings,

I am looking at scenarios how our internal users would interface VoltDb from with the MS Office tools as say Excel.

As a preamble, our users eventually will want to slice and dice various data sets in Excel. Probably building Pivot tables.

Excel in turn, doesn't expose JDBC, but ODBC is available. I can perhaps either use a ODBC to JDBC bridge or the ODBC driver straight supplied with VoltDb (correct me if I am mistaken please).

Regardless, would either method allow executing CRUD and Stored Procedures against VoltDB?

Thanks!
jpiekos
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, the VoltDB ODBC driver has been used to connect to Excel. We'd be interested in your feedback with using it, and also your use case.

Thanks,

John
nielsb
Jul 28, 2015
Yes, the VoltDB ODBC driver has been used to connect to Excel. We'd be interested in your feedback with using it, and also your use case.

Maybe a little late; but: are there any examples of an ODBC connection string using the Volt driver? I.e. how the connection string should look like for a 3:rd party (like Excel) application to use.

I am looking at trying to hook up PowerBI to VoltDB (just to see if it is possible), but I am having "issues" with the ODBC connection string.

Thanks!!

Niels
nielsb
Jul 28, 2015
Maybe a little late; but: are there any examples of an ODBC connection string using the Volt driver? I.e. how the connection string should look like for a 3:rd party (like Excel) application to use.

I am looking at trying to hook up PowerBI to VoltDB (just to see if it is possible), but I am having "issues" with the ODBC connection string.

Never mind, I am an idiot :). Just for posterity, so when I forget how I did it, I can come back:
1. Create the VoltDB file DSN as per instructions in the install file
2. Create a system DSN against that file DSN (same name, etc).
3. In PowerBI choose data source Other - ODBC, and set the Connection string to: "DSN=VoltDB" (VoltDB is the name of the system dsn)
4. You should now be able to see you VoltDB "database".

I do have some "weird" errors, but I can view tables etc. Awesome!!!

Oh, quick question - the ODBC connection asks for userid and password. I entered admin and voltdb. However, it seems when results come back it says something like VUSER? What should we use, if we haven't set up any specific users?

Thanks!!

Niels
bballard
Jul 29, 2015
Hi Niels,

Thanks for posting your steps, I'm sure someone will find this useful.

If you have not enabled security in VoltDB, then you can actually pass in any values for username and password, or leave them blank. They are ignored when security is disabled.

Thanks,
Ben
nielsb
Jul 29, 2015

If you have not enabled security in VoltDB, then you can actually pass in any values for username and password, or leave them blank. They are ignored when security is disabled.

Thanks Ben! Good to know!

Niels