Forum: Installation

Unable to Compile VoltDB Community Edition
fontanja
Apr 23, 2015
Get the following error:

/home/voltdb/build/voltdb/obj/release/clientsrc/com/google_voltpatches/common/reflect/Types.java:320:
error: TypeVariableImpl is not abstract and does not override abstract method getAnnotatedBounds() in TypeVariable
[javac] private static final class TypeVariableImpl<D extends GenericDeclaration>
[javac] ^

Am building with Java 8 using VoltDB Ubuntu demo VM on VMWare.
rmorgenstein
Apr 23, 2015
Currently, VoltDB can't be built using Java8, only Java 7. Once built, we do support running and compiling stored procedures in Java8.
Same thing here
Hlodowig
May 3, 2015
Currently, VoltDB can't be built using Java8, only Java 7. Once built, we do support running and compiling stored procedures in Java8.

This doesn't seem to be the issue. I just tried to compile with a very similar stack (VirtualBox instead of VMWare), but using JDK and OpenJDK javac, both of them version 1.7.0_79.

Getting:
[javac] /opt/voldtb/obj/release/clientsrc/com/google_voltpatches/common/reflect/Types.java:320: error: TypeVariableImpl is not abstract and does not override abstract method getAnnotatedBounds() in TypeVariable
[javac] private static final class TypeVariableImpl<D extends GenericDeclaration>

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Full output attached FYR.
vtkstef
May 3, 2015
Hi,

I have no issues compiling with 1.7.0_79. Please check your JAVA_HOME environment variable. Also if you run
ant -diagnostics
does it report java 7? Properties of interest are java.runtime.version and ant.java.version

Ciao
Stefano
Noob error
Hlodowig
May 3, 2015
Hi,

I have no issues compiling with 1.7.0_79. Please check your JAVA_HOME environment variable. Also if you run
ant -diagnostics
does it report java 7? Properties of interest are java.runtime.version and ant.java.version

Ciao
Stefano

Dumb error... just set JAVA_HOME correctly and voilą!

Grazie tante!
Hlodowig