Forum: VoltDB Architecture

Post: What are the counterparts in voltDB when compared to DB2 instance and DB2 database?

What are the counterparts in voltDB when compared to DB2 instance and DB2 database?
lliang
May 25, 2015
Hi there,

I am evaluating the voltDB and trying to understand some of the basics to see if I can migrate a project of DB2 to voltDB.

1) Can I start multiple instances of voltDB?
2) Can I create multiple databases in one instance of voltDB,
3) Can I create multiple schemas under one database in voltDB?

Please think DB2 instance, DB2 database and DB2 schema when you read instance, database and schema in my words.

If the answer is no, what are the counterparts in voltDB when compared to DB2 instance, DB2 database and DB2 schema, or what is the best practice in voltDB when handling the situation where they are needed.

Thanks.
bballard
May 27, 2015
Hi lliang,

Each VoltDB instance has only one (unnamed) database and one (unnamed) schema, so these are concepts that simply don't apply to VoltDB. You can start multiple instances of VoltDB either on separate hardware, VMs, or containers. Running in separate containers can be done easily using Docker. We have a blog that shows how to use VoltDB with Docker: http://voltdb.com/blog/how-docker-simplifies-distributed-systems-development-voltdb

Without containers, it is possible to run multiple instances of VoltDB on the same hardware, but it requires overriding the port numbers used, and ensuring that the log and other file outputs are written to separate directories. The port configuration settings are documented in the Admin Guide, appendix A5. I would recommend using Docker, though, it is much easier.
lliang
May 29, 2015
Thanks bballard for the clarification.

Hi lliang,

Each VoltDB instance has only one (unnamed) database and one (unnamed) schema, so these are concepts that simply don't apply to VoltDB. You can start multiple instances of VoltDB either on separate hardware, VMs, or containers. Running in separate containers can be done easily using Docker. We have a blog that shows how to use VoltDB with Docker: http://voltdb.com/blog/how-docker-simplifies-distributed-systems-development-voltdb

Without containers, it is possible to run multiple instances of VoltDB on the same hardware, but it requires overriding the port numbers used, and ensuring that the log and other file outputs are written to separate directories. The port configuration settings are documented in the Admin Guide, appendix A5. I would recommend using Docker, though, it is much easier.