Thread: A procedure invocation has timed out

A procedure invocation has timed out

Hi , my voltdb always get problems at peak hours recently and it happens every two days .

Then I checked the log of the application and I found that the reason of the problem is that some procedure invocation has been timed out.

Because all nodes were connected to one switch , I think the network was well.

And I checked the performances of all procedure before the problem happens , it was well.

Because of any other reasons , I didn't got the performances of all procedure when the problem happens.

So if any procedure invocation has timed out , can you tell me why ?

In addition, my voltdb has worked for two months without restart . Does it has any effect on the problem?

Hi Qian,

Thanks for you interest in evaluating VoltDB for your application. Running without restart for 2 months should be OK as long as something is not correct and you are running the cluster without addressing it.

As for the procedures timing out, it could be any number of reasons such as running a query that is not designed for optimal performance with VoltDB could hold all partitions and queries behind it could be timing out. But, I am not sure if I would be able to give you a concrete answer without understanding your stored procedures, their calling pattern and how much data you have. How many nodes do you have in your cluster? Did you check the VoltDB logs on all your nodes to see if there are any exceptions? If it makes sense to you, we can connect directly on Skype and discuss your use case for me to understand the application and help you accordingly. You can send me the VoltDB logs, schema (SQL file) and your stored procedure code to dremella@voltdb.com if they are small. If they are big, then you can probably use drop box application and send a share invitation to the same email address. In addition please feel free to connect with me on Skype. My id is dremella. I think I would be able to help you more collaboratively on that.

Thanks again and best regards,
    Dheeraj

Hi Dremella

Thank you for your help and I have already send a email to you .
    Please check your email , thank you .